Saturday, April 14, 2018

China 2018

Precious friends and family,

               I wanted to give you an update on my life, while telling you about an incredible opportunity I have this summer.

LIFE.
What a year it’s been for Ms. Klunder, the name I hear approximately 389 times a day Monday through Friday. I am finishing up my third year of teaching fourth grade in Wichita and learning an abundance about where I have been called and what it means to be persistent in love. This school year has been my most challenging so far, but also full of evidence of the daily sowing. I have taken on more roles within my school and district, having completely packed weeks every week. I started the school year as a “Master Teacher” for incoming fourth grade teachers to our district. They got to sit in my classroom for 3 hours and learn about classroom management, expectations as a new teacher, and see what a model classroom looks like. It was super humbling to share with new teachers, as I am still very much learning how to do my job and by no means have mastered anything. I will finish my ESOL classes through Newman and take my Praxis test in May. I plan to begin my Master’s in educational leadership this fall and am moving to fifth grade! All very exciting things, but the best moments have been the laughter, learning, and love I experience with my students. The life lessons my students have absorbed this year and the ways they have applied many of my “sermons,” as I call them, has been profound. Just this week I was teaching about acting on impulse, and half an hour after I had a student come up and say, “You know Ms. Klunder, I realized that I acted on impulse last week at recess when I got upset at *student* and ran after him.” WOW. That’s the good stuff.

OPPORTUNITY.
A couple weeks ago I was approached by my friend Leslie about a need this summer in China. As many of you know, I had the honor of going to Baoding, China last summer with International English Cultural Studies, IECS, with my sister Erica and Leslie.  I was a part of a team that helped with the English Week at Hebei Finance University. We left for China about 12 hours after I finished my last day of school, which was crazy and exhausting. And to be honest, as much as I would’ve loved to go back this year, I didn’t consider it with how challenging it was to finish school and go straight into traveling across the world and running hard for two weeks, despite it being one of my top 5 life experiences.
Long story short, Leslie is leading her own team this summer to Langfang University, a city close to Beijing. She has a team of mostly college students, many who have never been to China. One of the biggest ways we get to know students and build relationships is through our teaching. She asked if I would consider going again, in hopes that I could help with music for the English nights, bring teaching experience, plus help carry her load as the team leader. Immediately my heart fluttered. There have been so many little ways the Father has shown me this is exactly what I am suppose to do. The trip leaves two weeks after school ends (hallelujah). I had all these classes and trainings scheduled for the weeks of the trip, but everything ended up moving into April and May. The two weeks were wide open in my calendar. I took a couple weeks to process about it, then last week said yes to go!
 Through teaching English in the classroom setting, participating in “conversation corner” where we casually engage students in conversation so they can practice their English, inviting students to join with us one-to- one on trips to local sites, and hosting “English nights” to meet for songs, skits, a lot of laughs, and a lecture geared to start significant conversations, we are able to foster deep relationships.

GIVING.
Financial Need:
$2,500 (covering airfare, in-country transportation, food, and lodging)


Would you please consider being a part of this opportunity with me as you feel led? Financial and prayer support are both essential to this trip.
There a few different ways to give:
·        For a tax deductible donation, please visit online at www.iecschina.org and click on "support us" to donate. Be sure to enter Catherine Klunder in the comments field.
·        If you would like to send a check, please message me for my address.
·        To send money through Venmo, my account name is @CatherineKlunder

With expectancy and love,
Catherine









No comments:

Post a Comment