Saturday, November 30, 2013

Dublin Day 3

Erica and I were left to our own devices Friday morning while Paula and the rest of the family attended a funeral in Mayo. We slept in, got ready, and walked into the city centre. We intended on just walking around, but I wanted to see Trinity College as well.

It took us about 40 minutes to get to the campus walking casually, and when we walked through the gates, there were stunningly dressed people everywhere! Turns out it was graduation day, and everyone has to wear black or white. Guys were in tuxedos and the ladies had on dresses and massive heels. They all looked amazing and it seemed so lively and celebratory.

We navigated through the crowds and went to the Old Library. I was in awe at the history in the one room, as well as how incredibly stunning the hall was.















We shopped around a tad on the way home and then had an hour of down time before another Brogan brother picked us up. Steven and Anne, another sweet couple of the huge 9 sibling Brogan family came to the house to collect us for the evening. We went for a drive and then headed into Hole in the Wall. This is one of the oldest pubs and one that Steven went to when he was growing up. The pub spent 20,000 euros on decorating for Christmas. And let me tell you, it was INSANE. Literally, every inch of the place was covered. Lights, wreaths, garland, and any and all Christmas decor you can think of was in this precious pub. You know in the movie Elf when Buddy stays up all night and completely renovates the store? The pub was exactly like it. Brilliant, people. We had a coffee and a bowl of soup to hold us over until our dinner reservations at 9.





Steve and Anne have a daughter who is 21 called Laura. She was in the US last summer and my Uncle Mike and Uncle Wally were good to her during her visit. Those two uncles are incredibly gracious and the way Steven talked about them sounded nothing short of how they are to everyone. To give you an idea of my Uncle Mike and Aunt Paula's generosity, I called them in May one afternoon asking if I could bring a friend and stay with them for a few days. Mind you, I called the day before Sheradin and I left Wichita. (She was driving to go to the French consolate and wanted a driving companion. I thought it would be fun to tag along and visit my family!) We arrived one day after I called them and we had the most incredible stay. We were spoiled rotten and had the best time ever hanging out with my Aunt and seeing the family. But back to Steven Brogan. He was so thankful his daughter was loved on and cared for in Chicago that he wanted to do the same for us. He and his wife were incredible and we had such a fun time chatting and seeing Dublin.

Another Brogan brother (one of the 8) called Benny owns a pub right smack in downtown Dublin. Paula and Steven worked their family magic and arranged for us to go to his pub to pull our own pint of Guinness. It was 7:30 on a Friday night, so when we arrived the place was packed. I got all nervous and embarrassed. I said "Oh, it's fine. I don't really want to anymore." Truly, I had no clue what to do and I didn't want to look silly in front of the Irish drinking their pints. Thankfully, Steven ushered us the the bar and we slid behind. The manager quickly helped us pull our own pints. I was slightly offended when a man came up to the bar and said "I'll have a pint of Guinness, but I don't want the girls pulling it." The Irish, they like their Guinness. John the manager gave us the pint on the house and again, I was reminded of how fortunate we are to have been cared for and loved on this trip.We met up with Steven's daughter Laura and her cousin Helen and hung out in the pub until Paula met up with us.

I had never had a beer before, except tastes of light beer our friends order out (I think it tastes like soggy old bread), but I "nursed" my pint like my dad suggested, and enjoyed the flavor. I would never choose to order a beer out, but it was such a neat experience and to say we pulled our own pint in a pub in Dublin is fantastic.

After the pub, we walked to dinner. It must have been fate, because Steven booked dinner at a famous and incredible butchery F.X. Buckley's. We are Midwest girls...and we love our steak. I was a bit too excited to order a real steak considering it has been a long while since I had a proper one.

I had a starter of warm Irish rye fields goats cheese with pickled beetroot, dressed rocket, balsamic reduction and toasted walnuts. Oh my lands, it was magnificent. 
 The main attraction was a perfectly cooked Ribeye steak. I can't even begin to tell you how perfect that steak was. It was perfect, paired with a crisp glass of wine and hot fries. I was trying my best not to keep carrying on about how perfect my steak was. I love food and have always loved cooking. Good food speaks to my soul, and this was chattering away. Seriously, it was brilliant.
This picture does not do it justice, but you get the idea.
 We all ordered desert as well, because you can't have a proper meal without it. I had an americano and a trio of homemade ice creams, and was completely stuffed. We talked for hours and had the best time. Steven is hilarious and so conversational. Each course was brought out a long while after each other, so we had loads of time to talk and enjoy each other's company. The atmosphere was lovely as well, and the service was excellent. I was so grateful and truly had an incredible evening with Steven, Laura, Helen, Paula, and Erica.
We left the restaurant at midnight, and had plans to go listen to music down the road, but with everyone so tired and full, we called it a night and said our goodbyes. Like I said in the previous post, traveling is incredible, but getting to spend your time with people who know you (or very distantly know you) and want to take care of you is magical. I can't really describe how comforting it was to sit down for another fabulous meal and just talk and laugh with sweet relatives. I know we didn't actually know Steven and his wife and daughter before the evening, but it felt like we had known each other for years. If you are ever abroad, you will know that sense of amazement of seeing new things, but also a slight feeling of loss or loneliness because you aren't surrounded by people you know and love. The Irish are welcoming, kind, and friendly. I am at a loss for words at the amount of love, kindness, and generosity that has been shown to Erica and myself since arriving in Dublin. 

The day was delightful and the company was even better. I can't imagine a more perfect way to end our semester over here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment