Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Reflections

In four days, I will landing in Wichita. I am at a loss for words. This semester has completely flown by and half of what I have done feels like it happened in another lifetime.

After an incredible weekend in Dublin, Erica and I came home to two weeks of time left to soak up in England. We knew these two weeks would be filled with many Word Documents and tabs open, researching and writing four 2,000 word essays. I have felt incredibly frustrated at some points this week, feeling sad that my last few days are being spent locked in my room or the library writing papers that don't count towards my degree and for classes I am less then enthused to be in. I am not joking when I say this semester felt like a super long vacation. Not having a job meant I have had an unreal amount of free time. Being away from all of the craziness of home meant that I had no requirements and nothing holding me back from doing whatever I felt like. Being in random classes that sounded interesting based on the online description meant that my passions weren't being stimulated. What can I say, I love education and 6 year olds. I guess talking about stone axes and henges and bones of ancient neanderthals isn't as exciting as I thought it would be. 

I will admit I have exponentially increased my "watched" movies this semester, and have read many interesting articles and parts of books. But I am looking forward to coming home and having some sense of normalcy and structure. But, I bet the minute we land I will weep with sadness that I no longer live in Chester England. 

I have been thinking through this semester in the rare occasion I am not thinking about papers, and I have come to some conclusions. 

1. People are so much deeper than the first impressions you have of them. I am thankful and grateful I have learned this. If you want to hear more about this, we should meet up for coffee. 
2. Life doesn't have to be about waiting for what is next. Before coming to England, all life felt like was a big waiting game. For the first few weeks, I was waiting for it to feel real. I have come to understand every day is so rich and there are always opportunities to meet new people, encourage others, and step outside of your comfort zone. Like this past Monday, I met a girl who was in my class all semester. She sat across the room and until this week, we had never spoke. We ended up meeting and talking, and I was just refreshed by the small interaction. I have been refreshed from small, simply interactions many times this semester. But hey, it may be because I am an American and the Brits love Americans.
3. The English dress way nicer on a daily basis. And by way nicer, I mean they don't wear sweats, tee shirts, or hoodies...for the most part.
4. Walking is so peaceful and lovely. I am going to miss walking everywhere. I am never bothered by having no car. Chester is gorgeous, and walking allows me to actually see what I am passing, rather than rushing from one thing to another. I wish I logged the miles my feet have journeyed this semester. My TOMS and boots sure have taken a beating and are evidence of the walking.
5. There is no such thing as a drive-thru. And America should do away with them. Seriously. I think this is directly related to...
6. The English are (generally) very skinny. Which baffles me, because they eat plates of chips (fries) smothered in baked beans as a meal. Oh, but they walk everywhere and don't drive through places at all hours of the day and night.
7. Everything closes at 5 or 6 pm. Except Tesco Express, which closes at 11pm.
8. I have been blessed beyond measure. I am totally aware that these past three months are something not everyone gets to experience. And I cannot even verbalize how grateful I am. To my family, friends, and anyone who worked in any way to get me over here, I am forever grateful.
9. As much as I said I didn't like sharing a room with Erica this semester, I wouldn't have wanted anyone else here with me. We've laughed, cried, fought, laughed, danced, acted like fools, and been ridiculous. I am so thankful we got to experience this semester together. I sure love her.
10. Saying goodbye is one of my least favorite things in the world. I am an emotional wreck and sob like a small child. I am dreading saying goodbye to the people I have met this semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment